Department of Education and Communities
Conservia achieved an annual cost savings of $416,278 around 0.45% in excess of the
guaranteed cost savings set out in the Energy Performance Contract (EPC). Overall
electricity and water consumption savings in excess of 0.5% and 17% were achieved.
Project Cost: ~$3,700,000
Cost Savings: ~$452,900/yr
Simple Payback: 8 years
EPC Outcome Year 1
Achieved Cost Savings: ~$454,775yr
Achieved Electricity Savings: 1,850 MWh
GHG Savings: 2000 tonnes/yr
As part of their energy efficiency policy, NSW Department of Education and Communities (DEC) undertook an EPC project for 15 schools in NSW.
The schools included were Botany Public School, Daceyville Public School, Forest Lodge Public School, Holroyd School, Katoomba High School, Leichardt Public School, Northern Beaches Secondary College – Freshwater Campus, Noumea Public School, Orange Grove Public School, Rockdale Public School, Sarah Redfern Schools, Tempe High School, Tempe Public School, Terry Hills Public School and Whalan Public School.
After a thorough selection process, DEC engaged Conservia from a panel of three Energy Services companies to deliver the EPC project. The project was implemented in late 2015 and included the installation of energy and water conservation measures across the 15 NSW schools. The energy and water saving measures implemented were the installation of solar Photovoltaics (PV), Light Emitting Diode (LED) light fittings, solar window film, installation of Building Management Systems (BMS), installation of Variable Speed Drives (VSD’s), power factor correction, installation flow restrictors and installation of efficient cisterns.
Key Energy & Water Conservation Measures (ECM’s & WCM’s)
• Installation of efficient T5 fluorescent lighting, LED down lights and LED external flood lights (overall ~10,000 fittings)
• Installation of solar PV system (overall 405 kW)
• New BMS in seven schools
• Modification of constant volume systems to variable volume systems thus reducing reheating in one school
• Installation of demand ventilation (CO2 based control in two schools)
• Installation of VSD’s on air handling unit fans, chilled water pumps, condenser water pumps and cooling tower fans
• BMS fine tuning with optimum start/stop and temperature resets
• Installation of solar film on selected windows in all schools
• Installation of power factor units in five schools
• Installation of heat pump Domestic Hot Water (DHW) replacing electric DHW system in one school
• Installation of flow restrictors on taps and installation of dual flush cisterns in all schools
Electricity Savings with Solar PV = 1, 850,100 kWh/yr (42% reduction)
Water Savings = 6,516 kL/yr (13% of total)